- The Minutes and Resolutions of the previous meeting were approved.
- It was reported that there were 167 victims of vCJD as at 6 October 2008, according to the figures on the National CJD Surveillance Unit website. However Charles Russell was aware of 172 victims. Main Applications had been received in relation to 171 claims. By the end of this meeting, the Trustees had considered 168 of the claims submitted to date. The Trustees had considered a total of 364 claims for £5,000 Psychiatric Injury, 198 claims for Particular Emotional Hardship and 38 claims for Particular Financial Hardship.
- The meeting included consideration of two new claims and one resubmitted claim in relation to three victims for Particular Emotional Hardship. There was one new claim for Particular Financial Hardship. There were no claims for Carer’s or Victim’s Loss of Earnings.
- 37.66m had been paid in compensation by the date of the meeting. £10.75m had been paid for costs and expenses, which included £4.81 million in relation to Charles Russell’s fees (inc VAT) and £3.45 million in relation to Irwin Mitchell’s fees (inc VAT).
- The Trustees considered the proposals for a revision of the Scheme to send to the Department of Health. They agreed the draft of the new Trust Deed that would be used if their proposals were accepted. They reiterated that they would only consider the more limited amendments to the Scheme if the Department of Health refused to accept the more radical amendments that had been proposed previously.
- A number of applications had been received for the role of Nursing Trustee to replace Vicky Vidler and the Trustees agreed that the interviews should take place on 27 November 2008.
- The Trustees resolved that it would be prudent to ask a risk assessment/financial advisor to look at the Trust’s banking arrangements in view of the economic downturn and to ensure that the Trust’s money was protected as far as possible.
- The final, audited accounts for the year ending April 2008 were signed.
Return to minutes page