- The Minutes and Resolutions of the previous meeting were approved.
- It was reported that there were 143 victims of vCJD as at 16 December 2000, according to the figures on the Department of Health’s website. Main Applications had been received in relation to 133 victims, 129 of which had been considered by the end of the meeting. The Trustees had considered a total of 109 claims for £5,000 for psychiatric injury in relation to 71 victims.
- The Trustees considered the recent press coverage on the possible transmission of vCJD by contaminated blood. Dr Richard Knight, of the CJD Surveillance Unit in Edinburgh, had provided useful information on the Care Package and care that is provided at a local level. It was agreed that this should be posted on the Trustees’ website at www.vcjdtrust.co.uk.
- Principles in relation to claims for compensation under clause 4.3.2 of the Trust Deed in cases where a psychiatric condition has given or gives rise to particular financial or emotional hardship were further considered by the Trustees. The Trustees agreed that a Workshop to consider these further would be useful.
- It was agreed that the articles written by the Trustees would be put on the vCJD website, at the above address.
- It was agreed that the Annual Report and Accounts would be posted on the website, at the above address.
- The Trustees considered 6 new claims, 3 cases with outstanding issues and claims by family members of 12 victims for the single sum of £5,000 for psychiatric injury lasting longer than a calendar month that has been caused or materially aggravated by the fact that the victim has contracted vCJD.
Return to the minutes page