- The Minutes and Resolutions of the meeting on 8 October 2004 were approved, subject to a small amendment.
- It was reported that there were 151 victims of vCJD as at 1 November 2004, according to the Department of Health’s website. Main Applications had been received in relation to 147 victims. By the end of this meeting, the Trustees will have considered 141 claims for the claims submitted to date. The Trustees had considered a total of 225 claims for £5,000 for psychiatric injury.
- £28.1m had been paid in compensation to date. £5.9m had been paid for costs and expenses.
- In relation to clause 4.3.2, a psychiatric condition giving rise to particular financial and emotional hardship, the Trustees reconsidered the principles and procedure that had been adopted previously. A letter would be sent to the families providing details of the decisions in due course, after the meeting in March.
- The Trustees considered inheritance tax, income tax and state benefits and the effect of compensation on these.
- The Trustees considered the wording of clause 7.1 of the Trust Deed and confirmed that the costs of setting up and administering interim trusts cannot be paid under the scheme. These costs are outside the scope of clause 7.1 which states that the Trustees have a discretion to pay for costs “… incurred… in making representations to or in answering enquiries from the Trustees …” This did not cover the setting up and administration costs of interim trusts. In relation to Qualifiers, the Trustees reconsidered their approach to Qualifiers and affirmed their view that a full and thorough investigation into potential Qualifiers is required. In some cases previously, details of family members had not been provided by the person making the claim and it transpired that other family members had valid claims.
- The amended forms and documents were considered and approved. The Trustees would prepare a leaflet for circulation in appropriate circumstances.
- The Trustees considered 5 new cases, 4 claims with outstanding issues, 1 claim requesting part payment and 11 claims in relation to 8 victims for the single sum of £5,000 for psychiatric injury lasting longer than a calendar month that has been caused or materially aggravated by the fact that the victim has contracted vCJD.
Return to minute page