- The Minutes and Resolutions of the previous meeting were approved.
- It was reported that there were 166 victims of vCJD as at 1 February 2008, according to the figures on the Department of Health’s website. However Charles Russell were aware of 171 victims. Main Applications had been received in relation to 169 claims. By the end of this meeting, the Trustees had considered 167 of the claims submitted to date. The Trustees had considered a total of 359 claims for £5,000 Psychiatric Injury, 191 claims for Particular Emotional Hardship and 36 claims for Particular Financial Hardship.
- The meeting included consideration of two new claims, four claims by family members of three victims for the single sum of £5,000 for psychiatric injury lasting longer than a calendar month that has been caused or materially aggravated by the fact that the victim has contracted vCJD and eleven new claims in relation to six victims for Particular Emotional Hardship. There were no claims for Particular Financial Hardship or Carer’s of Victim’s Loss of Earnings.
- 37.3m had been paid in compensation to date. £10.4m had been paid for costs and expenses, which includes £4.7 million in relation to Charles Russell’s fees (inc VAT) and £3.4 million in relation to Irwin Mitchell’s fees (inc VAT).
- The Trustees approved the precedent documents in relation to claims for Victims’ Loss of Earnings and suggested some further amendments.
- The Trustees noted that Vicky Vidler was due to retire as a Trustee and were grateful that she had agreed to attend the next meeting in June 2008. They discussed an appropriate replacement for her and agreed that someone with similar experience should be approached. It was agreed that the Royal College of Nursing should be approached for suggestions.
Return to minutes page