- The Minutes and Resolutions of the previous meeting were approved.
- It was reported that there were 166 victims of vCJD as at 28 September 2007, according to the figures on the Department of Health’s website. However Charles Russell were aware of 171 victims. Main Applications had been received in relation to 168 claims. By the end of this meeting, the Trustees had considered 165 of the claims submitted to date. There are three claims being dealt with at present. The Trustees had considered a total of 355 claims for £5,000 Psychiatric Injury, 180 claims for Particular Emotional Hardship and 36 claims for Particular Financial Hardship.
- The meeting included consideration of one new claim, two claims by family members of two victims for the single sum of £5,000 for psychiatric injury lasting longer than a calendar month that has been caused or materially aggravated by the fact that the victim has contracted vCJD, seven new claims in relation to six victims for Particular Emotional Hardship, one new claim in relation to one victim for Particular Financial Hardship. There were no claims for Carer’s of Victim’s Loss of Earnings.
- 37.2m had been paid in compensation to date. £10.4m had been paid for costs and expenses, which includes £4.6 million in relation to Charles Russell’s fees (inc VAT) and £3.4 million in relation to Irwin Mitchell’s fees (inc VAT).
- The Trustees discussed the precedent documents in relation to claims for Victims’ Loss of Earnings and suggested some further amendments.
- The Trustees heard that two representatives from the National CJD Care Team had visited Charles Russell in November in order to observe how the Scheme was administered and to discuss the difficulties that the Trustees and the families encountered regularly.
Return to minutes page